DENVER – At its annual June meeting this week, the Western Athletic Conference Board of Directors elected its 2017-18 Executive Committee and approved several items for the upcoming academic year and beyond.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Chancellor Guy Bailey was elected Chair, while Grand Canyon University President Brian Mueller was elected as Vice Chair. The third member of the Executive Committee is California State University, Bakersfield President Dr. Horace Mitchell, who served as the Chair for the past year. In addition, UTRGV Athletic Director Chris King will serve as Chair of the WAC Council for the 2017-18 school year.
The Board approved several items that were recommended by the WAC Council, including the establishment of a WAC Academic Excellence Award that will be awarded to one institution per year following the conclusion of the 2016-17 academic year, changing the format of the WAC men's and women's soccer tournaments to Wednesday/Friday/Sunday, increasing the men's soccer tournament field size from six to seven, and maintaining all current affiliates for the 2017-18 school year, with the exception of the North Dakota swimming and diving programs, which were discontinued following the season.
In addition, the Board:
- Was presented with the WAC Annual Report, which can be found here
- Received an update on the WAC Strategic Plan and the current status of several benchmarks
- Heard a report from Dr. Mitchell, the WAC's representative on the Division I Presidential Forum, on its April meeting
- Was given a financial report on the 2017 WAC Basketball Tournament and approved the return to the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas for the eighth straight year in 2018
- Approved a recommended future rotation of the Executive Committee